Curriculum: Autumn Term 2017
In Maths the Children will be
- Finding pairs with a total of 100
- Adding to the next multiple of 100 and subtracting to the previous multiple of 100
- Subtract by counting up to find a difference
- Adding several numbers
- Read, write 4-digit numbers and know what each digit represents
- Compare 4-digit numbers using < and > and place on a number line
- Add 2-digit numbers mentally
- Subtract 2-digit and 3-digit numbers
- Learn × and ÷ facts for the 6 and 9 times-table and identify patterns
- Multiply multiples of 10 by single-digit numbers
- Multiply 2-digit numbers by single-digit numbers (the grid method)
- Find fractions of amounts
- Tell and write the time to the minute on analogue and digital clocks
- Calculate time intervals
- Measure in metres, centimetres and millimetres
- Convert lengths between units
- Record using decimal notation
- Add two 3-digit numbers using column addition
- Subtract a 3-digit number from a 3-digit number using an expanded column method (decomposing only in one column)
Non-fiction Wanted: Space Explorer!
In this unit, the children select applicants to be trained as astronauts for a mission to Mars. They read about Neil Armstrong in the interactive eBook, using the eBook’s features to find out about Neil Armstrong’s personal qualities. They focus on effective use of pronouns and fronted adverbials, and use these in their writing tasks: to write a diary entry and a biography.
Fiction Christophe’s Story
The children start by listening to Christophe’s Story, responding to questions that stretch their comprehension and questioning skills. They use discussion, drama and role play to understand more about the characters. They look at the author’s use of language: her choice of memorable words and phrases. Children draw on their understanding of conjunctions, adverbs and prepositions to express time and cause to tell their own oral recounts, and then turn these into written recounts. Children use a letter as a model to write their own, applying their ability to write multi-clause sentences. Children repeat the same task for a book blurb, if required. In the main writing task, children write their own stories, drawing on their own personal experiences and a shared model text.
This unit focuses on the digestive system in humans and animals and the functions of teeth. Children will learn more about herbivores, carnivores and omnivores in the context of teeth, digestion and the food chain. Children will be experimenting and observing how different liquids affect our teeth by using the shell of boiled eggs to compare with the enamel on our teeth. In addition, they will extend their understanding of food chains to more complex chains and food webs
Basic simple sentence structure. Children will learn how to translate, write, spell and say simple sentences. Children will work from the Madinah Book 1 and learn vocabulary according to their work.
We are teaching Qaidah and concentrate on Arabic letters and their fluency, Quran surah and supplications.
Wudhu and Salah Practicals
In PE, we are learning:
Tennis: This tennis unit provides the basic skills of tennis. Competition is not the main focus of the course, rather skill acquisition. Children will learn the name of the lines on a tennis court. They will also learn fundamental movement combinations such as run/catch; catch/throw and dribble pass. Children will follows rules and safety procedures while participating in a variety of physical activities.
Ice-skating: This ice-skating unit is about basic skills of ice-skating. Children will also learn the rules and safety procedures while doing so.