Curriculum: Autumn Term 2018
In this term, children will learn about
- Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
- Reading Comprehension
- Poetry by Ted Hughes
In this term, we will be learning about
- Read, write and compare 6-digit numbers and know what each digit represents; read, write and compare 1-, 2- and 3-place decimal numbers; multiply and divide by 10, 100 and 1000; round decimals to nearest tenth and whole number and place on a number line; convert decimals (up to 3 places) to fractions and vice-versa
- Use mental addition strategies to solve additions including decimal numbers; use column addition to add 5-digit numbers, decimal numbers and amounts of money; solve problems involving number up to 3 decimal places, choose an appropriate method to solve decimal addition.
- Express missing number problems algebraically and find pairs of numbers that satisfy equations involving two unknowns; find missing lengths and angles; understand how brackets can be used in calculation problems; use knowledge of the order of operations to carry out calculations involving the four operations, solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems using knowledge of the order of operations.
- Convert between grams and kilograms, millilitres and litres, millimetres and centimetres, centimetres and metres, metres and kilometres, and miles and kilometres; revise reading the 24-hour clock and convert 12-hour times to 24-hour; read and write Roman numerals; find time intervals using the 24-hour clock.
- Use mental addition, column subtraction and Counting up to solve subtractions of amounts of money and word problems; use mathematical reasoning to investigate.
- Use mental multiplication strategies to multiply by numbers such as 4, 8, 5, 25, 19, 29 and 99; revise using short multiplication to multiply 4-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers and use this to multiply amounts of money; solve word problems involving multiplication including two-step problems and finding change; use long multiplication to multiply 3-digit and 4-digit numbers by teens numbers.
This term we are concentrating on games. We will be looking at the following objectives:
- Can choose the most appropriate throw to use within a game
- Can call out for a catch in a game showing they know they are in the best place
- Can hit a ball into a space to help increase the score within a game; can dribble a ball in different directions and avoid obstacles
- Can help other members of the team to find space within the team game
- Can use a range of attacking and defending skills when playing a team game.
In ‘Super Seasonal Cooking’ students will learn about the importance of buying seasonal food. The first part of the unit provides an opportunity for children to learn where, when and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed. Children will then have the chance to sample some spring seasonal food before designing their own balanced seasonal meal. They will learn how to cook with the seasonal ingredients following their own recipes and using a wide range of preparation and cooking techniques. Finally, children will evaluate their product against their design criteria. Children will learn appropriate hygiene rules for handling meat and fish and safe preparation skills.
This term the students will be learning about:
- E-Safety and its importance
- They will develop an awareness of the capabilities of smartphones and tablets
- understand geolocation, including GPS
- identify interesting, solvable problems.
- evaluate competing products
- Study the basics of AppInventor
- Design their own App using AppInventor
Pitch a proposal for a their Smartphone or tablet app
This term students will be looking at different verbs and how they change depending on the tense. They will also be focusing on handwriting and translating from Arabic to English. Students will also be expected to follow basic instructions in Arabic.